Author Topic: A suggestion relating to guest panels  (Read 718 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

A suggestion relating to guest panels
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:45:09 AM »
Meant to post this sooner.
In the future, I would like to request that food not be given to the guests at their panels.
The reason is because at the one for Sword Art Online, someone gave out cereal and candy for them to eat and I felt that they had gotten carried away.
What bothered me about it was, I had a voice request for Bryce Papenbrook and Cassandra Lee Morris to do character quotes from Bravely Default that were only seen before the title screen and were never said out loud in the game. I wanted them to say them in a standard way and while Bryce did that, Cassandra chose to do her line with cereal in her mouth, even though I clearly requested for her to say it normal.
The reason why I asked for that is because like I said, the quotes were never said out loud in the game and I thought it'd be cool to hear the VAs recite them (neither quote was that long and I wouldn't have requested something I felt would be complicated). And because most guests are ones you're not going to see on a frequent basis and that you can't take for granted that you'll see them again, if you have a unique request that you want done in a specific way, it's important that they do them the way you ask, because it's something you're excited for them to do and could be your only opportunity.
I know that Cassandra wasn't trying to let me down and just thought doing the line with cereal in her mouth would be funny, but because I clearly requested her to say the line normal, I was frustrated that she didn't.
I did give her a note the next day explaining how I felt and hopefully, she got a chance to read it.
And I know that the person who gave the cereal and candy out couldn't have known that this would happen, but because of what did occur, I would like for guests to not be given food and snacks at their panels in the future.
You can see what happened in this clip at 11:44:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvE5IK5zoFU

Offline keyblademaster333

• The no-name gamer
Re: A suggestion relating to guest panels
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
For starters you probably shouldn't ask, at a panel, for the voice actors to say something quote wise since that eats up time, and this is coming from a huge Bravely Default fan myself. However I do agree that guests should not give them food like that and it also is on the voice actors to decide when to eat it, not that they cannot do that in any way.

I would suggest that if it happened again go to their autograph panel and request it there.

Offline HaibaneXYZ

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
I attended the SAO panel and completely agree that the food / cereal thing got out of hand.  It was humorous at first but lost its charm quickly.  The lines that Cassandra read were so garbled that it was unintelligible to those in the audience.  The thought of, "please stop, make it stop" kept running through my head yet the reading just went on and on. 

Overall the panel was a let down.  The VAs only spent a little time talking about their experiences and SAO, with the majority of the time going off about completely random topics like Starbrust.  Very little useful knowledge or insights were gained.  I eventually just walked out feeling like the whole thing was just time wasted.

As someone who has to travel a long ways to get to SacAnime (and the related travel and hotel expenses) the SAO panel disappointment just gives me another reason to not attend again in Summer.

Offline Vegeluxia

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
I didn't go to this panel, but, unless rules changed, isn't giving gifts, especially food, to the guests during panels against the rules anyway? I know at the last panel I went to, this was announced beforehand. I would think those people would be screened in the line first?

Offline PaladinCecil79

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »
Vegeluxia: The food was set on the table before the guests entered the room.

HaibaneXYZ: I relate very well to what you said in a lot of ways. I can understand the guests goofing around with the food for a minute or two, but I agree that they got too carried away and the panel definitely would've been a lot better if they had behaved differently. The majority of the time they spent having fun with the cereal and candy should've been spent discussing SAO and taking questions instead. When you're a guest at a convention, it's important to retain a professional image, especially when you're doing panels and they were clearly acting like 10-year-olds instead.
Don't let this discourage you from attending SacAnime in the future, though. I've been to a lot of guest panels over the years and that kind of behavior usually doesn't happen. If the staff makes sure guests aren't given food or snacks ahead of time, it'll be different.