Author Topic: What Starlight Ball needs to change back to what we came for  (Read 549 times)

Offline onicoursemusha

What Starlight Ball needs to change back to what we came for
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:30:43 AM »
Hi!  My name is Craig Yamaguchi.  I attend and review many anime cons in the country.  SakuraCon, KumoriCon, Otakon Vegas, Anime Boston, KatsuCon, Anime Central, and ColossalCon.  I'm also an event coordinator and worked with formal dance event such as KrakenCon, AnimeLA, Anime California, HanadokiCoon, and  KumoriCon.  I have attended many Starlight ball and my favorite year was Sac Anime Winter 2016.  You had a great dance lesson variety to learn, the person in charge of music had great taste in social dance and other casual songs.  You had a photographer for couple pictures.  This year because everyone was being charged $10 ($4 more than last), was just a huge rip off when you can actually get that same experience with the rave next door with no extra charge.  Having no dance lesson means it'll discourages people who has no knowledge of going.  Really bad taste in how formal dance is ran.  People go to Starlight Ball to have a social dance partners.  Not have a formal rave.  Nothing is offered for being charged $10 when you can get that same price at Anime Central's Prom with 5 hours of dance, A decent quality DJ to understand the crowd, and great refreshment of food and beverages.  As a person who observe these events, this year was the worst executed formal dance I experienced and I hope you realize it can hurt your event with this type of new direction.  Not even other formal dances that I traveled to would pull something this bad.  You could of done that type of prom style dance on Day 1 and kept the ballroom dance event on Day 2 just like KumoriCon did last October by having a Prom style dance on Day 1 and Ballroom Dance on Day 2.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:43:38 AM by onicoursemusha »

Offline Miukichan

Re: What Starlight Ball needs to change back to what we came for
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
Yes! I agree with you mostly, and you sound like you know what you're talking about!

Offline Neener

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
I completely agree. I also made a post just now without looking in detail at what other people were saying and I made the same point that the event they did this time wasn't actually bad and it would be a nice thing to do as it's own separate event and do it on Friday night and do an actual ball on Saturday night.

Offline xyamuchax

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:24:34 AM »
I also agree 100%! The Starlight Ball of last year was much better run than it was this year. Please bring back the crew who helped instruct people last year as they did a wonderful job at it!