Author Topic: Updating costume policy to explicitly mention ice skates  (Read 550 times)

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
Updating costume policy to explicitly mention ice skates
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:58 PM »
With the popularity of Yuri!! on Ice (for those who don't know, it's an anime centered on competitive figure skating), I think that the costume policies for the con need to be updated to specifically reference ice skates. I'd assume they'd fall into either "live steel" or "can otherwise bring harm to attendees, staff, or the convention center," so I feel like wearing or openly carrying skates would already be disallowed (especially wearing them around the con), but I know that not everyone has the common sense to not bring them and think that it needs to be mentioned more specifically as something disallowed.

Bringing this up because I saw someone on the FB group mention that their friend was planning on actually wearing ice skates around the con, and that's a Really Bad Idea. Some people probably won't listen to fellow attendees about it, since it isn't specifically mentioned by name as banned, so I'm hoping that having it as a specific rule would prevent that.

...not that I expect anyone from a department who can address this to see this thread or respond before the con, but it's worth a shot.

Offline Con-sec

• Convention Executive
Re: Updating costume policy to explicitly mention ice skates
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:43:52 AM »
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I will let me staff members know.  My daughter has taken ice skating lessons for several years, I know that the 'blades' on the ice skates are very sharp.  I appreciate the fact that you are looking out for the safety of others and you are correct not everyone has the same level of common sense.  I will address during our next meeting.  Again, thank you for being so aware and safety conscientious.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
Re: Updating costume policy to explicitly mention ice skates
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »
Thank you for addressing this! (and so promptly)