Author Topic: Wristbands  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Saber

Wristbands
« on: September 01, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Just wanted to say that it's ridiculous that you have to wear a wristband for the entire weekend without being able to take it off if you get a multi-day pass. I don't think I've ever been to a convention that did this. Not even Anime Expo, the largest convention in North America, does this so it sort of baffles me why anyone thought this was necessary.

Offline dbzuniverse78

Re: Wristbands
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »
I also wonder about this. Of all the cons I visit, this is the only one that does this as well. Is the reasoning that its too easy for someone to pass the neck worn badge around? if so, then why do we need both? Although I can see the neck one as a collectable.

Can one of the staff provide a reasoning?

Offline plaidsuperhero

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
Not staff, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with color-coding and quick access. It's a lot easier to check if someone has the appropriate wristband color than it is to look for what is written on the badge. At least this is how it is for SacAnime. Silicon Valley Comic Con also had wristbands, but those were to electronically check-in and check-out of the main convention area (really cool and I would recommend if it weren't likely to be so expensive).

My problem is also: why both the badge and the wristband? I had my badge in my pocket all weekend with only the lanyard peeking out and no one bothered to look at it. I remember getting scolded by staff to wear them around our necks and not anywhere else back before the wristbands were implemented, but that was years ago.

Offline KomaedaNagito

• .: K I N G ♚ K A L :.
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
They didn't even GIVE me a lanyard this year when I checked in on Friday around the evening time. They only gave me a wristband and I wore that the whole time but didn't get stopped thankfully.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:50:26 PM »
I find wristbands to be really difficult to deal with as a cosplayer, as my cosplays don't always allow for access to my wrist. I have friends who have gone as far as having to cut holes in bodysuits to allow for staff to see their wristbands.

Most cons I attend have a badge on a lanyard, that as long as it is on the attendee's person and easily accessible (I always attach mine to the handle of my bag), it is valid. Badges can also be color-coded to show VIP status, weekend vs. single-day, etc., as most cons do.

I can understand if this is an anti-ghosting measure (it's easier to exchange a badge than a wristband), but it can be a huge pain when someone has to either damage a cosplay in order for the wristband to be visible, or take off quite a bit of a costume for the badge to be visible. It seems like there is another solution out there. (Not to mention that the wristbands look bad in cosplay, which discourages me from bringing more elaborate things that I'd want to do photoshoots in, and possibly discourages other cosplays from bringing their A-game cosplays.)

Offline vidaliapaintsai

• my tumblr blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
like let me tell you how much i hate the wrist bands ok

last winter and this summer con i went as Miraculous Ladybug, who wears a full body tight suit.

so i would either have to 1) Use soap to slip off the wristband and put it over my suit or 2) leave it on my wrist and unzip my cosplay or walk around with half the suit off until i went to a gathering so they could see my wristband.

and i didnt use the soap method until the summer con, so there i am zipping and unzipping my costume, stalling the line and freezing my ass off so they can see the stupid wristband

honestly just make a color coded badge system like....people take off their wristbands anyway with lotion or soap and put it back on just to get into the vender hall. Like even the people who put the wristbands on you dont even put them on tight enough, she put it so lose on me i was afraid id get turned away at the vender hall...

edit: forgot to say that because i had to take my wristband off to switch cosplays ive accidentally left the wristband in the hotel room TWICE and didnt notice till i was in the convention hall, so twice i had to go back to the hotel, wait in line for the elevator and get back to the 8th floor and get my wristband.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:39:08 PM by vidaliapaintsai »