Author Topic: starlight ball  (Read 633 times)

Offline AlunaMoon

starlight ball
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
so is this a new thing or is it something that goes on every year i mean i can find nothing on this compared to other things at sac anime im just wondering cause if its like a real ball as far as formal wear and ballroom dancing then yes but if its just a bunch of people awkwardly standing around i dont wanna go????

Offline Neener

Re: starlight ball
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
As far as I know it's nothing new, I've been going to sac anime only for the last two cons and I've gone to the ball both times. It's formal attire only and they play all kinds of different music for all kinds of different style of dance (swing, waltz, tango ect) It's really fun early into the night when there's more people but it kind of dies down for the last hour and a half, I was only able to make it last time for the last hour or so and didn't really have much fun. They also offer dance workshops for all the different styles of dance they will play music for so if you don't know how to dance you can go to one of the workshops. If you've never danced before I would suggest taking swing as it's the easiest (and most fun in my opinion) to learn in a short period of time. Hoped this helped :)

Offline charmingsprout

• cosplay fb
Re: starlight ball
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »
Starlight Ball has been going on for several years now - we actually started when SacAnime was back at the Radisson! The dress code is semi-formal - we have some guidelines on our page http://www.sacanime.com/?page_id=4137 and you can always ask any staff members sitting at our ticket booth on the third floor of the convention center, outside the dance workshop room, to make sure your attire fits our standards. If you don't have any formal wear, we also have a Fairy Godmother Charity, where gently-used formal wear donated by other attendees is available for a VERY low price (I'm talking $15 for a formal dress).

In the last year, Starlight Ball changed staff and is now run almost entirely by ballroom dancers. That means YES the music in our playlist is danceable! We also have mixers and performances during the ball itself.

Feel free to come to any of our workshops throughout the day Friday and Saturday if you want to brush up on your steps!