Author Topic: Question on how the cosplay masquerade works  (Read 907 times)

Offline Neener

Question on how the cosplay masquerade works
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
Hi, so I've been debating whether or not I wanted to enter into the cosplay masquerade at S16. The reason I'm not sure about it is because I'm also going to be competing in the kpop battles, which for the past two conventions has been scheduled right before the masquerade, and I'm also not familiar with how they run the masquerade, mostly how their prejudging works as I would be entering the craftsmanship portion, and I wasn't sure if schedule wise I would be able to compete in both, i.e if I would have enough time to get back into my cosplay after the kpop battles. I know it seems like a lot to try to compete in both events, but I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on how past masquerades have run and maybe how they do their prejudging, I know some conventions do it differently than others, it would really help me out on deciding if I should at least try to do both or not. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:46:01 PM by Neener »

Offline Rairix

• The Seer of Hope
Re: Question on how the cosplay masquerade works
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:21:41 PM »
I would say try to contact the con in general for actual times. The forms are sadly overlooked horribly.

From my experience if you get in line for prejudging about a half hour before you're suppose to you can possibly be out in 15 minutes once they start, or you can end up stuck in a tiny room for 6 hours with no directions on if you can leave or not (last summer was not fun) Usually it takes a good 45 minutes to a hour when things run smoothly.
I wasn't in winter's at the last con but did talk to some of the people in it, and prejudging wasn't required and only encouraged.

It might be better for you to just pick one or the other to do just in case. Masquerade is fun, but depending on communication and set ups can take your entire saturday afternoon. If you have lots of fun at the kpop battles you should probably do them since you know you'll have a good time.

If you do masquerade, the rules are HORRIBLY out of date (like the old con center/hotel's rules) Phones are still allowed, and bring a drink with you, you will get thirsty in the heat even if the room is air conditioned, snacks are also not a bad idea or have a big lunch just in case. Usually after prejudging they want you back at 5pm to sit and wait till stuff starts at 6ish.

I wish you luck in either, and if you choose masquerade I'll see ya there.

Offline Neener

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
Thank you so much! It actually ended up being that I couldn't enter the k-pop battles (they suddenly weren't accepting solo entries -.-') So I will be entering the masquerade instead. This was very helpful and I appreciate it a lot :)

Offline Rairix

• The Seer of Hope
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:15:16 PM »
No problem. It is fun, as long as stuff is running right. Just remember a snack and drink for wait times