Author Topic: Hotel Experiences?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
Hotel Experiences?
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

This Summer will be the first time I'm staying in a hotel for this con, and there seems to be very little about hotel reviews or subjective experiences on these forums, so I thought I'd get a thread going so I know what to expect. (I've obviously stayed in other hotels before, and at a certain point they're all much the same, but sometimes there are quirks with a particular hotel or con that are helpful to know about.) I used to be local, and after I moved away, I started staying with a friend during con, but that's becoming much more difficult and we're going to spring for a hotel this next show. We're staying at the Sheraton.

I have a lot of experience with Fanimecon hotels, so I know about a lot of the little things to think about there (which hotels have bigger rooms, better elevator situations, better in-room amenities, etc.), but I haven't seen much about this con's hotels yet.

Maybe we can turn this into a "SacAnime Hotel Review General" type thread, with reviews of people's experiences at the various hotels around the area, to help out other attendees who are either new to the hotels at this con (whether new to the con itself or not) or who might want to switch hotels. How did rooming go for you? How are the hotel's amenities? Hotel staff? Elevators? Noise levels? Space in the rooms and room layouts? Any outstanding experiences either way (good or bad)? Any other hotel thoughts?

Offline hikanteki

Re: Hotel Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
I’ve stayed at the Sheraton since 2012. (While SacAnime did not move to the convention center until 2013, in 2012 they opened up the Sheraton Hotel for overflow reservations.)

In 2012, the room was nice, modern, sleek and spacious. Not sure if that was a fluke but every year since then, the room I’ve gotten was nice but somewhat dated, and much smaller. At least the beds are still comfortable.

The price has been creeping up steadily from $99 to $117. 117 is ‘reasonable’ but no longer a great deal -- and when you tack on the extras it becomes IMO a below average deal especially for the smaller, dated room. This is Sacramento, hotel rooms in general are not that expensive here. I suppose it becomes worth it again when you sign up for the pre-reg deal with free VIP passes.

Around 2014-5 they stopped including refrigerators in rooms and started charging $25, then $20/night. Who the heck is going to pay $20/night for a refrigerator? If I have leftovers and need to throw them out because I can’t keep them cold, I can just buy new food the next day for less than $20.

WiFi is $15/day...ridiculous. For the 3-4 day stay it would have cost as much as my entire month’s internet bill at home.

Parking is $16/day (up from $14 last time), although of all their extra fees this one actually makes the most sense.

One consistent pro is that staff is top-notch. They have been able to register and check out long lines quickly & thoroughly. Also once I lost my vitamin case and the staff had found it and knew where it was.

Overall...we have a decent stay at the Sheraton but aren’t completely sold on it. Next time we’ll check out the Hyatt.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
It says on the Sheraton's website that they provide wired internet in the rooms. Is this true? We can probably live without wifi if they provide ethernet cables, otherwise...ouch. We need our internet at con!

We'll probably bring a cooler with snacks and stuff instead of paying for a fridge. I've done that before at cons that don't provide fridges.

Does anyone know what the Hyatt parking fees are? Their website says $17/day, but I don't know if there is a discount on that. They have free wifi if you sign up for their rewards club, so if we wanted wifi, iif parking is a bit cheaper, it would make more sense to pay about the same amount for a hotel + wifi with the higher Hyatt prices and get cheaper parking...but if not, we'll keep our Sheraton reservation. (Walking all of my friend's AA stuff to the hotel would be much easier at the Sheraton, though, since it's closer, especially in 100+ degree heat!)

Offline hikanteki

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
It says on the Sheraton's website that they provide wired internet in the rooms. Is this true? We can probably live without wifi if they provide ethernet cables, otherwise...ouch. We need our internet at con!

We'll probably bring a cooler with snacks and stuff instead of paying for a fridge. I've done that before at cons that don't provide fridges.

Just checked--wired internet is not free either, but it’s a little cheaper ($10/night...still not worth it IMO). Yeah, we bring coolers too, but not having a fridge isn’t the issue so much as them having the audacity to charge $20/night for one. That just makes no sense.

Offline Illek

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:21 PM »
The past two times I have booked a room for the Hyatt through SacAnime they have given free wifi.  There was nothing to indicate there is a discount for the parking fees.  Personally I think the Hyatt is worth it more due to the fact that the refrigerators are free as well.  The staff is just as friendly and the Hyatt isn't far at all.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »
That internet is expensive. Wow. We'll probably just spring for it, but I'll see if I can convince my friend to change the reservation over to the Hyatt. It might not be worth the hassle for just a few bucks, though, and dragging all of her AA stuff around in the 100+ degree heat (even if it is just a block and a half further to the Hyatt) might not be worth it. (I guess we can get wired internet if we are that concerned about the cost.)

Unless there's something else really good at the Hyatt that I just don't know about, haha.

Offline plaidsuperhero

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
FYI, the base price of a room at the Hyatt is $15/night more than at the Sheraton, so $15/day for WiFi at the Sheraton kind of evens it out.

I've stayed at both hotels before (the Hyatt once and the Sheraton twice), but I probably will continue staying at the Sheraton if only because I prefer being close to the action. And also because I hate walking in the heat or the cold of Sac.

The elevators this winter at the Sheraton seemed worse than the summer show. Not quite at the level of the Marriott at Fanime (and let's hope it never gets there), but there were a handful of occasions where the elevators were too full and I had to wait a little while for another one. I didn't have any problems with the elevators when I stayed at the Hyatt; however, the increase in attendance could effect that.

To fabrickind: if one of your roommates is at the AA, most definitely stay at the Sheraton. A block and a half in Sacramento's summer heat while carrying a lot of stuff is not worth the differences that the Hyatt offers. At least that's my opinion (growing up in a place with 100+ degree summers will make you jaded).

Offline NutellaNewtCosplay

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:15:12 AM »
I'm going to stay in either the Sheraton or the Hyatt for the first time this year as well. If anyone has experience with having more than 4 people stay in a room at either I would love to hear about it. I'm wondering how doable it is to bring in one to two more than the "max occupancy" they allow per room. For the Sheraton, quadruple occupancy rooms are already sold out but there's an option for a traditional king room, has anyone ever brought in a fourth or fifth person to one of those rooms?

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »
FYI, the base price of a room at the Hyatt is $15/night more than at the Sheraton, so $15/day for WiFi at the Sheraton kind of evens it out.

I've stayed at both hotels before (the Hyatt once and the Sheraton twice), but I probably will continue staying at the Sheraton if only because I prefer being close to the action. And also because I hate walking in the heat or the cold of Sac.

The elevators this winter at the Sheraton seemed worse than the summer show. Not quite at the level of the Marriott at Fanime (and let's hope it never gets there), but there were a handful of occasions where the elevators were too full and I had to wait a little while for another one. I didn't have any problems with the elevators when I stayed at the Hyatt; however, the increase in attendance could effect that.

To fabrickind: if one of your roommates is at the AA, most definitely stay at the Sheraton. A block and a half in Sacramento's summer heat while carrying a lot of stuff is not worth the differences that the Hyatt offers. At least that's my opinion (growing up in a place with 100+ degree summers will make you jaded).
I think wifi was listed at $20/day? Either way, it's only a $5 difference, so as I said, unless there's something else really cool about the Hyatt, I think we'll stick with the Sheraton. We'll probably just eat the $5 and bring a cooler if we feel we need cold items.

I know that 100+ degree heat all too well, as someone who lived in Sac for well over 20 years. ;] Probably not worth it, especially in cosplay and with AA gear. (Free parking is probably the only thing that could make it worth it, haha)

I hope the elevators don't get too much worse with the larger Summer show. I always try to stay at the Hilton at Fanime because even though the rooms are smaller and not as nice, the elevators are better than the Marriott (still not great, but much better) and they have fridges, so I am known to choose hotels based on their elevator situation! I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Offline spycker

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
I cant believe I didnt stay at the Hyatt sooner ! It was the best...free refridgerator....free wifi. Its not that bad of a short walk..
No elevator CON, no crazy people partying at 4AM like last time and I had to tell someone to STFU and GO TO SLEEP.....best sleep ever at the Hyatt

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
Bringing this back, now that I have a SacAnime hotel experience to review.

Stayed in a Sheraton double-double room with two roomies, so three total. We ended up paying extra for the room with a fridge, since otherwise we would have had to have waited another hour or two to check-in, since that was the only room type available (and the person who had the room in their name was our AA person, so that wasn't gonna fly).

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

Good:
- Close to the convention. I could easily hop down to the karaoke room without leaving the building, or could easily return to the hotel from the convention center to change in the middle of the day. It was really convenient.
- The room itself. It was a nice room: spacious enough for three cosplayers (not huge, but pretty standard for a hotel room), had a desk, the two beds, an armchair, and a pretty nice window seat. Had a great view of the parking garage (hey look! I can see my car from here! :P). Fridge was VERY small.
- Service was good. I didn't have any problems with the hotel employees whatsoever.

Neutral:
- Parking. The garage wasn't too far away, which was fine, but I did have to make the trip across the street with large cosplay props a few times. It was easy to find and easy to park in, and the in and out privileges were good. It was easy to add another car to the room, as well. The negative here was that we couldn't park and then check in and still get the hotel rate, since they tie your parking to your room key, so we had to park elsewhere before we checked in, and then move the car, so we paid for parking twice.
- Rather small closets. And the layout of the room was a bit strange -- the bathroom door and front door couldn't be open at the same time. Not really a big deal unless you plan on spending a lot of time hanging out in the bathroom with the door open, I guess.

Bad:
- Internet. Wifi is expensive so we went without.
- THE NOISE. This was the worst part of the whole experience. It wasn't that the other guests on our floor were being needlessly loud, but rather that the hotel itself is loud. Every time a door was closed nearby, it pretty much shook the whole building, it seemed. Even a normal door closing was like the doors were being slammed shut, and this was pretty much constant. Sound carried throughout the hotel, as well, so any amount of noise from other guests was audible, though that was less of a problem than the door issue. I can sleep through anything, so I didn't have a problem, but my friend is a really light sleeper and had trouble with the noise. It's to the point that we are never going to stay at that hotel again, and have booked the Hyatt for Winter.

So overall: good rooms, good staff, but noise was a major issue, and it's a problem of the building itself, not a problem of the other guests.

Offline Pounce!

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:07 AM »
The negative here was that we couldn't park and then check in and still get the hotel rate, since they tie your parking to your room key, so we had to park elsewhere before we checked in

I was told over the phone that it is still possible to park, just no in/out privilege until check in and then exchange parking slip for keys coded for the garage.  And it was $16 - $4 hotel discount?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:52:10 AM by Pounce! »

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
Oh, really? Huh, could have used that knowledge before the con!

They actually had a hard time getting us into the garage because they hadn't migrated over the room information yet, so we had to stop in the entrance, park, put the flashers on, and wait while the attendant called the hotel to verify our information. It wasn't a huge deal, but it was a bit annoying. (Thankfully there were multiple entrance lanes, since, of course, there were other cars trying to enter the garage at the same time...)

Well, because of the incredible amounts of noise and wall shaking, we still won't be staying at the Sheraton again. I'll be sure to post a review of the Hyatt after this Winter.

Though, I keep seeing posts around from someone heavily advertising a room party at the Hyatt during two nights of the con, so I hope that I either don't end up stuck on the same floor as them or the Hyatt is good at taking care of noise complaints.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:03:03 AM by fabrickind »