Author Topic: Costume chains?  (Read 898 times)

Offline TheGreekMenace

Costume chains?
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »
So quick question about chains on costumes. I am a bit unsure about the chain policy on costumes, I have been stopped before about having a chain on a weapon which makes sense. I plan to cosplay Mad Max as the "blood bad"(mask and all) and my girlfriend will be going as Nux. In the movie they are connected by a metal chain from Max's mask to Nux's bracelet. Would a metal chain be alright in this situation? It couldn't be used to harm anyone as we are going to be connected by it from either end. I have used a plastic Halloween chain before and it honestly doesn't hold up to walking around and bending around. Any sort of reply would be great, thanks!

Offline Pounce!

Re: Costume chains?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:12 AM »
I would worry about someone still remotely getting between you two in a clothesline or choke in a busy crowd.  Its a judgement call on security and safety staff.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
Re: Costume chains?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
The con does have explicit rules about chains:

Any metal chains are to be less than three feet (3’) in length. This includes, but is not limited to chain wallets or any non-costume chains as well.

and

Metal studs or chains on costumes or other metal components of costumes/props may also be subject to approval by SacAnime.

Though nothing about attaching two people together, which I would imagine would be against the rules (and good sense!) for many reasons -- possibly clotheslining people on accident, making it harder for you two to move together in case of emergency/evacuation, you two possibly becoming forcibly separated by a crowd in a way that ends up harming one or more of you, etc. I'd also imagine that your chain would need to be longer than three feet in order to connect two people together.

If you can, I'd have a shorter chain that is connected to one of you (probably Max) and quickly connect it (or fake it) for photos. Be sure to not do this is a crowded area where the chain could pose an issue. Also be sure to have a quick safety release of some type, even if you do just connect it for photos. (If you want a longer chain for photos put 3 feet of chain on each of your costumes and connect it in the middle.)