Author Topic: Cosplay Skin Coverage Requirements?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
Cosplay Skin Coverage Requirements?
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »
One of my planned cosplays for next weekend will be a leotard, potentially with a thong back. (This is the legline cut I am going for.) I will be wearing dance tights underneath that match my skin tone. The costume is Samus Aran's Justin Bailey outfit, if that makes any difference. The leotard is otherwise long-sleeved with a gentle scoop neck. Is this acceptable, or should I go for a fuller cut in the back?

I looked on the website, but I only saw prop weapon requirements, not skin coverage. It wouldn't show much more than you'd see at the beach, though the bottoms would be slightly skimpier than your average modern bikini, and would show exactly as much as you'd see in an aerobics class circa 1986. ;P

Offline msv

• Convention Staff
  • SA Customer Service
Re: Cosplay Skin Coverage Requirements?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
Regarding skin coverage, please keep in mind that the convention is a family friendly event. A percentage of attendees are family with children; therefore when revealing skins, be cautious that there will be children present. Skin color tights wore underneath of a revealing cosplay may be acceptable at your own risk. However, if you believe that your cosplay will be a concern and/or questioned, be prepare with a jacket or change of clothes if asked to be covered up.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Ah, okay. So there isn't a specific requirement (like a percentage, or certain types of garments that are banned outright), but it is based on judgement and things that would be considered to be in "good taste" and "family friendly," correct?

I always bring a change of clothes, just in case, and I wouldn't wear anything /too/ revealing at this con, since it is a bit more family-friendly. I didn't have any issues with the legline of my cosplay, though I did make the back slightly thicker than a true thong back. (I don't have any butt shots of it being worn, but here's the front, if you're curious. It's not super revealing. The back is maybe 2.5 inches wide at the narrowest point [it gets wider as it goes up], and it sits on top of my tights rather than between my cheeks like a thong without tights would.) And, as I said, it's nothing that you wouldn't have seen in 1986. ;]

Thanks for the reply! :]

Offline msv

• Convention Staff
  • SA Customer Service
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:40 PM »
That's correct, good taste and family friendly cosplays would be a key component. Again as mention before if you feel that your cosplay is showing more skin than needed skin color tights will help, just keep in mind that everyone rates a cosplay differently, one cosplay that is not offensive to one person may be offensive to another. Use your good judgment, have fun and enjoy the convention. SacAnime is where fans come to play so we want to make sure that all attendees are having a good time with or without cosplaying.  :)

Offline Sandrajohn

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »
This message has been deleted by Cleaner as spam! Sandrajohn's post count has been reduced by 1.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:54:52 PM by Cleaner »

Offline WhiteRabbitCosplay

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
Winter SacAnime 2017 a girl came dressed up as Matoi from Kill La Kill (search "matoi ryuko transformation cosplay" if you don't recognize the anime). She was not kicked out. The rules of dress are more strict around masquerade contestants than con-goers.

The one thing I know for sure is no showing nipples, even if your a man.

Offline fabrickind

• fabrickind.tumblr.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Winter SacAnime 2017 a girl came dressed up as Matoi from Kill La Kill (search "matoi ryuko transformation cosplay" if you don't recognize the anime). She was not kicked out. The rules of dress are more strict around masquerade contestants than con-goers.

The one thing I know for sure is no showing nipples, even if your a man.
Even though this is an ancient thread bumped by a spambot, I'm glad for this answer since it shows that the con hasn't gotten /more/ strict in the few years since I wore Samus (which I had no problems with, by the way). I'm currently working on a cosplay with some very short shorts and the contour fold underneath my buttcheek may be visible from some angles...I don't foresee any problems, but you never know.
(I've also worn a leotard with a thinner thong back and opaque colored leggings to this con several times with no issues, but that one I'd protest if they asked me to cover up or change, since it's a canon design from a kid's show)
(What is it with me and cosplays that show my butt?  ::))