Author Topic: AMV General  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
AMV General
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
This thread is to discuss and explore various ideas about AMV creation.

I'll be sharing some aspects of video editing that I'm familiar with, thoughts on videos I've seen, and the positive and negative (personally) things I've seen at the SacAnime AMV contest.  I'll also use some graphics to explain some things when possible and you're free to do the same.

Use this thread to learn and go further than you would normally go.

The following posts I'll make will be on different fields of video creation and what someone might do to improve and just general thoughts. I encourage people to ask questions and openly accept that I do not know everything there is to know, so if there's an opinion you disagree with, please bring it up and I'll do my best to answer it to the best of my abilities. Additionally, I'll be making a few dummy posts to post more info as I write it and to update with info that others may find relevant made by other posters.

Remember to keep things civil and have fun!

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
Re: AMV General
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Contents
-Basics/What do you want to do?
-Video/Sources
-Choice of Music
-Editing Techniques
-Sound Editing

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
Basics/What do you want to do?

Some find making an AMV can be simple with the right set of tools and skills. Others may find it nerve wracking because of a variety of reasons. Believing they lack the skills or abilities, lack of time, etc. The most important thing about making an AMV is to be positive about the entire process and to not get discouraged even when you don't get the feedback you want(though you may need). You can always learn new things even if you're an amazing editor, myself included.

Now, to start, you'll need an idea. I'm sure many of you have seen one or many of the AMV Hell videos.  These are great. But, the reason they're great is because they're short. They take a line from a song or scene that works perfectly with a particular scene from an anime. That's it. An AMV requires more than that. The entire song needs to work with whatever source footage you're working with, which is a problem I've seen over the course of my AMV viewing. I'll delve deeper into this in later posts.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:34:38 PM by Omnibus »

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
Video/Sources

DVD, BluRay, video files(MKV, MP4, AVI, etc). These will be your primary sources of footage. I'll try to go over these in as much detail as I can.

DVD/BluRay
These are great and usually offer the best quality for your video. When ripping, make sure you note the quality/settings when doing so. Videos with varying qualities can look very half done. I've re-ripped footage multiple times because I noticed way later that the quality was different.

Video files
First things first, I can't condone downloading licensed material. Buy the official releases if they're out here. But I digress. Video files are great because they offer the ability to scrub through footage in a very quick way.  There's also some programs which allow you to extract particular scenes from these files(I'll try and find one of the programs I use and update this post later). Quality is varying depending on the encode of said video. Be careful when choosing a video file source.

When ripping any video don't bother recording the sound, or if you don't have a choice, always set the audio rip to the lowest setting to avoid larger clip file sizes. I'll get into sound ripping in later posts.

What not to do
Use GIFs. Ever.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:35:41 PM by Omnibus »

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Choice of Music

Picking out the right music can be the easiest or most difficult part of making a video. Some get inspiration from listening to a song and pairing a series or idea to it. Others choose a series or idea and then try to choose a song they think will work with it.  Both ways are valid forms of the creative process. Typically, I chose he former. I've seen quite a lot of anime and tend to form videos on the fly while I'm listening to music. I make note of it, really try to process if it's a solid idea then proceed with it or scrap it. I have some pretty harsh advice when it comes to music.

Things to consider
-The song needs to be strong. This is a pretty general term in itself, but the point stands. Weaker sounding songs don't have the "umph" that are needed to bring a video to "great" standards.
-Songs that tell stories are great. When you can make a series tell a story, it gives you can idea of what you need to work with. And can connect with the audience easier.
-Dance music is something you should avoid.This is simple. Unless the editing makes up for it, dance music is boring and repetitive. There are very few videos that I've seen that can make dance music work. I'll try to post some examples of how they do work.
-Do not use foreign music, including Japanese music. We know, it's an AMV. Anime comes from Japan. We get it. How many people that watch AMVs know Japanese? My point is, there is a disconnect from the viewer when a song is in a different language than the one they speak. One example I ran into recently, was a person using another anime's intro to another series. When something like this occurs, two things happen. Viewer disconnection, the editing must supercede the music entirely(this never happens and makes making a music video moot). For the record, adding subtitles does not help. I'll get into that later.
-The song should express an emotion people can connect with. A good choice of song should emit some emotion that people can feel along with the video. Pairing an emotional song to the appropriate series can make all the difference.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:09:29 PM by Omnibus »

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
Editing Techniques

info to be added

Offline Omnibus

• I am all.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
Sound Editing