Author Topic: Will SacAnime continue to grow/evolve?  (Read 157 times)

Offline hikanteki

Will SacAnime continue to grow/evolve?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
I've attended SacAnime most years since 2010...and I always have a good time but currently I can't help but think that it has its wheels stuck in the mud. For awhile it was growing quickly but that seems to have stopped, oddly, once it moved to the convention center. It's no longer a bright-eyed young burgeoning convention, but it's not one of the major anime con players either.

I've seen a slight shift towards English-language cartoons and pop-culture shows. I guess this reflects what is happening nationwide. Meanwhile, a lot of the anime guests are the same ones. I like Tatum/Palencia/Willingham/Bailey/Martinet/Mignona as much as anyone but it seems like they get repeated over and over. But, at least it doesn't seem like 50% of the panels are Attack on Titan anymore.

The website/design and social media presence could use a revamp IMO. It still feels like that of an underground startup con, and that's not the case.

It's not really a strictly anime con anymore, but it's not a comic con, it's not small and intimate, it's not big and chaotic. I'm not sure if there's really anything that I'd say SacAnime is known for by this point. It has dabbled in a lot...J-Pop concerts, Rock concerts by GOH side projects, K-Pop, and now Cosplay wrestling. I miss the voice actors from classic properties they used to get a few years ago (i.e. Cummings, Cullen). But, I will say their Exhibit Hall, and the quality of cosplayers' costumes, is always consistently top notch.

Does SacAnime want to grow? Does it want to specify a focus? I'd like to hear from people who plan the event what the vision currently is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:03:39 PM by hikanteki »

Offline HaibaneXYZ

Re: Will SacAnime continue to grow/evolve?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
It's my observation that SA staff don't check these boards any longer.  If you look over at the panels board, it's been overrun by spam and there is no moderator to clean it up.

As an industry professional, SacAnime is something that rates very low on my "professionalism score card".  I tried to work with them extensively in the past and staff simply does not reply to any messages.  In comparison, Anime Expo is great about returning messages ("A") and Cruchyroll Expo is pretty good ("B-").  SacAnime gets a "D-".  They'd get a "F" but Artist Alley does gets back to you.  Unfortunately SA AA staff can't do anything for professionals above the AA level. 

I've since given up interest in working with SA.  If other professionals are receiving the same treatment then its likely SA will continue to have issues with trying to attract talent.

This summer everyone had two choices.  San Francisco Comic Con or SacAnime.  Both were on the same weekend which I know cannibalized attendance at both.  At least Crunchyroll Expo had the foresight to check the calendar and not be in conflict with the other conventions.  SFCC and SA should have taken steps to avoid each other but they didn't so everyone had to make a choice.  Given my past experiences with SA, it was easy to go with SFCC. 

Other than a few hiccups, SFCC was very good to work with.  In an interesting turn of events, I had missed the panel deadline, but the Director of Programming gave me two panels to moderate when she heard that I would be available, with 320 seats for the first and 1,188 for the 2nd.  Turn outs were good and I had the pleasure of speaking with a Google executive after one panel about some future opportunities. That right there was professionally worth the whole weekend.

Flip to SA and all the panels I've submitted haven't received a second thought by staff.

I saw anime cosplay at SFCC like Naruto, One Punch Man, and Sword Art Online, so I know that SA is losing some of its attendance to SFCC.

As long as staff continues to do things they way they have, and treat professionals the way they do, SA will continue to be negatively impacted by that.

I may attend SA in the future from time to time as an attendee but it's no longer important to me as a professional.  There are better run operations with better opportunities out there.  Hopefully staff can make some major changes to the way they do business but knowing how things work I don't foresee that happening.  Fingers crossed though.

Wishing everyone the best!

Respectfully,
An Industry Creator

Offline hikanteki

Re: Will SacAnime continue to grow/evolve?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
This summer everyone had two choices.  San Francisco Comic Con or SacAnime.  Both were on the same weekend which I know cannibalized attendance at both.  At least Crunchyroll Expo had the foresight to check the calendar and not be in conflict with the other conventions.  SFCC and SA should have taken steps to avoid each other but they didn't so everyone had to make a choice. 

I liked reading your perspective. On this particular point though, I will say that conventions don't usually get to pick any dates they want and are at the mercy of what the convention center offers them. Also, in an area like Northern California...there are so many events going on every week that it's nearly impossible to schedule something on a weekend that nothing else of interest to any of the attendees will be going on elsewhere. Choices happen.